Olivetti: THE NATION’S FIRST TYPEWRITER FACTORY

Established in 1908 as “the first national factory for typewriting machines”, from the very start Olivetti was notable for its attention to technology and innovation, its attention to design, its international visibility, and its sensitivity to the social aspects of work.
Having gained its position as the world’s leader for mechanical products for the office, already in the 1950s Olivetti was investing in electronic technology with important results.
Camillo Olivetti, the founder, and his son Adriano transformed the family firm into a modern industrial group to develop it into one of the most important Italian firms with branches throughout the world.
For Adriano Olivetti the firm was not only a place for production but also the main motor for economic and social development, and as such he considered it had responsibilities to both society and the territory.
It searched out and employed young and brilliant architects, town-planners, and sociologists. It asked them to guarantee architectural structures, the organization of spaces and territories that might allow the coexistence of formal beauty and functionality, as well as the betterment of the work conditions in the firm and the quality of life outside it.