MARZOTTO: THE SOCIAL CITY

In 1836 Luigi Marzotto, Gaetano’s great-grandfather, opened the first woollen mill in Valdagno with 12 employees.
But it was with Gaetano Marzotto, between 1922 and 1929, that the firm was radically reorganized: machinery was renewed and increased, the buildings were reconstructed, and the number of employees grew from 1,200 to 3,500. Following the wishes of Gaetano, Valdagno’s social city was established; designed by the architect Bonfanti, this was an ideal extension of the factory: there were houses, schools, nurseries, rest homes, sports facilities, recreational structures, and services for the workers and their families. In the meantime the industry continued to grow and expand throughout the north and the centre of Italy. In 1935 the employees from Valdagno alone numbered 7,500: 10,000 if we count those from outside the Veneto.
At the end of the 1930s the Marzotto group covered 40-50% of all Italian woollen exports.
In 1972 Gaetano was succeeded as head of the group by Pietro Marzotto who implemented a strategy for growth and diversification. In the 1980s he began a process of acquisitions in Italy, of internationalization, of concentration on core-business, and of conferring on the group the value of a high-value brand: he gave it a whole new aspect.
Today the Marzotto group is a protagonist of international importance in the sphere of textiles and its strategic mission is that of innovation.